The German-Serbian Initiative for Sustainable Growth and Employment, the Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit (SIPRU), the Heinrich Boell Foundation and the Brodoto Social Impact Agency jointly organised the first Belgrade Crowdfunding Convention on 7 June.
The Belgrade Crowdfunding Convention gathered for the first time in one place crowdfunding experts and campaigners who use crowdfunding to kick-start their projects. The best-known campaigns from Serbia and the region were presented at the conference. Through a crowdfunding campaign, “Buba Bar” from Croatia managed to open a café that employs exclusively persons with Down syndrome. “Startit Center” has raised several hundred thousand dollars to open a co-working space in Belgrade. Read more about the convention.
Research on crowdfunding in Serbia
A research on crowdfunding in Serbia was conducted, using data from the most popular crowdfunding platforms Indiegogo and Kickstarter. The research showed that, although the use of crowdfunding in Serbia was on the rise, it was still lagging miles behind the developed markets.
- By mid-2016, crowdfunding in Serbia raised a total of USD 653,134
- Out of 570 campaigns in total, only 41 were successful (7.2 %)
- The most common projects were in the field of arts (32 %)
- Only 27 % of campaigns were led by women
- Campaign success rate was 3 % at Indiegogo and 37 % at Kickstarter
- The number of crowdfunding campaigns increased by 400 % from 2012
- The number of campaign backers in 2016 was 3,148, which accounted for 0.03 % of the population
Read more at www.crowdfunding.rs