The National Association of Parents and Teachers (NARNS) was formed during its constitutional assembly in Belgrade, as a result of the initiative “In partnership for education” initiated by the Open Society Foundation and UNICEF in Serbia.
The main idea is to promote and strengthen the cooperation of parents, teachers and schools to successfully initiate changes in education and resolve specific issues faced daily by all stakeholders in the educational process.
The National Association of Parents and Teachers of Serbia (NARNS) aims to provide the following:
- Development of partnership, a culture of respect and cooperation among parents, educational workers and schools;
- Increasing the capacities of parents and educational workers for cooperation and participation of the work of various mechanisms – school clubs of parents and teachers, parent’s councils, school boards, etc.;
- Creating a platform for discussion, gathering and orienting parents and educational workers, as well as other significant stakeholders – experts, decision makers and others;
- Inclusion of parents and educational workers in the development of educational policies and measures;
- Promotion and support to the process of decentralisation of education – strengthening the ties between family, school and the local community.
The National Association of Parents and Teachers of Serbia brings together representatives of three communities: professional associations of educational workers, parent associations and representatives of school clubs of parents and teachers, school and municipal parent councils as a structure enabling the cooperation of parents and educational workers within schools.