The Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit of the Government of the Republic of Serbia, in cooperation with the Ministry of Science, Education and Technological Development, has published the research proceedings of young researchers. The proceedings are the result of the “Data-Based and Research-Based Educational Policy Creation Programme”.
The papers are part of a special component titled Support programme for the development of research capacities in the Republic of Serbia, aimed at establishing dialogue between the academic and research community, policy creators and practitioners. Comprehensive dialogue is a key precondition for improving the process of responsible public policy creation and efficient use of facts and data. The programme is aimed at:
- Improving cooperation between decision makers and the scientific research community;
- Improving research capacities in the field of education;
- Raising the capacities of staff in the educational system for the collection, analysis and interpretation of data of importance for making decisions of importance for educational policy creation.
Regarding the improvement of research capacities in the field of education, the goal is to stimulate researchers starting their careers to use the existing research material and various available data sources by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technological Development and other relevant institutions.
The Unit provided mentor support and trainings for the young researchers during the process of drafting the research papers, with the data provided by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development through the open data portal (opendata.mpn.gov.rs) extremely important for a better overview of the state of play in education, and for improving the quality, equity and efficiency of the educational system. Other sources of data were the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia and the National Employment Institute.
The proceedings include the following research papers:
- Analysis of labour market supply and demand for youth with secondary education during the 2011-2015 period. (Lazar Živković)
- Characteristics of the Teaching Staff in the Educational System of Serbia: Analysis of earnings, gender representation and age of teachers by educational levels (Nemanja Vuksanović )
- Staff in Education – Analysis of professional qualifications, monthly earnings, age and gender representation of teaching staff by occupation in primary and secondary education (Tatjana Skočajić)
- Analyses of Combined Classes: Challenges in the transition of children from combined classes to the core school (Bojana Đurđević, Anđelka Janić and Marko Kovačević)
- Improvement of the Quality of Open Data Based Inclusive Education (Olja Jovanović, Slaven Bogdanović, Ljiljana Plazinić and Ana Vušurović)
The results obtained in the process of analysing the policies and measures have been presented to the relevant institutions and civil society at the conference “Data-Based and Research-Based Educational Policy Development”, where further directions for action have been jointly agreed. This provides for the results of the analyses to directly impact the definition of measures for improving the lives of citizens of Serbia. The conclusions and recommendations from this event can be found here.